How do I create a free product?
There are two ways to make a product free on Gumroad:
1. You can use our Pay What You Want feature, where you set a price of $0+ for your products, allowing customers to enter “$0." If they do this, the payment form will disappear and they will not be charged anything to download your file. Learn more about this feature here. Please note: The largest file size a PWYW product can be is 25 MB (or 250 MB if you are using Gumroad Premium.)
2. You can set a product to an actual price, then send customers a 100% Off offer code. This article will explain both of these methods. But first - the million dollar question:
Does Gumroad take a fee on free products?
Gumroad's fee (3.5% + $0.30 or 8.5% + $0.30 depending on your service) does not apply to products that are sold for $0. We only make money when you do!
Here's a quick video that explains the basics of free products.
A Product With No Payment Form
If you'd like to completely override the credit card form and not give your customers the option of paying anything, follow these simple steps:
- Set a non-zero value for your product (i.e. $1). The price of your product can not be $0+. In other words, your product has to have an actual price. Do not set your price to be "$0+" - that is an entirely separate beast, known as Pay What You Want. Here is an image of a product whose price is a non-zero number.
- Now make sure that you've actually set your price to a non-zero number. Check it again. And again. Is the starting price of your product still $0+? Then you need to change that to $1. Or $2. Or $7,856,441. Or any number that isn't 0.
- Create an offer code for 100% of the price (i.e. also $1, or just 100%) in the Options tab. In the screenshot, I have created an offer code, "freebird" that, when attached to my product's URL, will take 100% off of the price.
- Click Save Changes
- Click Share next to the offer code to copy the free URL to your clipboard.
- Hit Ctrl+V or Command+V to send this URL to your buyers!
To send customers and fans directly to the download button, simply add "?wanted=true" to the end of your shared URL.