Things that are not allowed on Gumroad
We want Gumroad to be a platform that makes it possible for creatives to make a living from doing what they love. You can help us keep the Gumroad community safe by selling only your original creations and keeping it legal. And be respectful -- this is not a platform for targeted harassment or violence.
Anything that encourages or promotes discrimination
We do not allow any activity that promotes or encourages discrimination based upon race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age. This includes any content sent out using our email services, or as part of any products sold on Gumroad in any capacity.
To provide specific examples, though no means an exhaustive list of what this means you cannot do:
- Threaten any individual person
- Incite violence
- Peddle Nazism
- Share private information about a private citizen without their express permission
Content that reveals private information about an individual without their express authorization
Unless you have the express consent and authorization of the individual or the information is publicly available elsewhere on the Internet, do not sell content that discloses a private individual’s home address, phone number, credit card number, social security number, or other private information. Breaching another person’s privacy can pose a serious threat to their safety, because, you know - it's the Internet.
In order to keep our fees as low as possible (and our lawyer's blood pressure within a healthy range), we have to ensure that no fraud or high-risk activity takes place on Gumroad. By high-risk, we refer to payment behaviors or sales of goods that put the credit rating, reputation, or solvency of Gumroad in danger. In other words, things that get us in trouble.
Fraud and high-risk sales inevitably lead to more chargebacks, which means that we have to raise our fees to cover costs. Higher fees means less money for all creators, which negates our purpose - to make selling as simple and cheap as possible for creators such as yourself. Some of the most basic ones are:
- Reselling software that you've purchased in the past
- Web hosting or servers
- Tickets to events or using Gumroad to process money for events you are hosting
- Reselling ebooks that you have reseller rights to
- Selling furniture that you didn't create with your own hands
- Selling physical goods that you didn't create yourself (sorry sneakerheads, stick to eBay)
- Selling jewelry
- Selling Steam keys or hacks to other websites
- Selling used goods, electronics, or products that you didn't create or own the rights to (to sell your used X-box, an old version of Photoshop, a signed Space Jam t-shirt, or a slightly-rusted car, please see eBay or Craigslist).
- Selling physical products that violate our terms of service or federal laws of the US (Yes, we know that certain plants are legal in X number of states for medicinal and recreational purposes. Yes, we know CBD is not technically the same thing as this certain herb. Yes, we know George Washington grew hemp, and that we are being super square.)
- Pornography or content that displays actual humans engaging in sexual behavior (artwork is generally ok) - see why here
- Recurring business payments (in other words, using Gumroad as a way to bill a client for a service you're providing them with)
- Food products, medical products, and beauty products
- Credit repair ebooks or credit repair services
If you have any questions about what we do and do not allow on Gumroad, please feel free to reach out to us. We'll gladly walk you through any concerns you might have.