Can I Sell Services?
Because Service billing is not covered by our Terms of Service, you can not, nor attempt to use Gumroad to sell services.
What is a service?
The Gumroad customer experience is designed to be a 1:1 transaction. You pay money, and you get a product immediately - a PDF, Photoshop brushes, a movie, a subscription to Charlie Brown hentai, you name it.
A service, therefore, can be defined as anything being provided to a customer outside of Gumroad's servers. Examples include:
- Coaching services. Your customer pays you on Gumroad, and you talk to them over the phone for six weeks
- Skype lessons. Your customer pays you on Gumroad and you then meet up with them to teach them something
- Access to another Web site. Your customer pays you on Gumroad, and they get access to your Snapchat feed.
- Installation or tech support services. Your customer pays you on Gumroad, and you install software for them remotely
- In-person services. Your customer pays you on Gumroad, and they gain access to a seminar you're teaching, or a camp that you're hosting, or a crossfit course you're leading.
See the pattern? Your customers are receiving something that is not a tangible digital or physical product.
Simply put - our banking partners (think of them as our Big, Wealthy Brothers) do not let us process payments. Services are handled differently than digital products because, from a financial perspective, they are much riskier. Services often experience high chargeback rates and can put a payments company like ours into legal grey areas where they are responsible for something they had no control over.
Bottom line: If we were to be audited by a government agency, we would have no way of explaining what our users are processing money through our servers for. The logical jump for law enforcement from that point is that we are unwittingly helping fund organized crime or terror. And then, before you know it, Gumroad's staff is bunking at Guantanamo Bay for the foreseeable future.
What happens if I sell services on Gumroad?
We will be forced to close your account and refund any remaining purchases.