Facebook Domain Verification
Starting April 27, 2021, following the release of Apple's iOS 14.5, Facebook began rolling out its new ad measurement protocols. Under this new protocol, one of the main actions required from the advertisers is to verify their domain in Facebook Business Manager.
As they mention here, Domain Verification must be done at the effective top level domain plus one (eTLD+1 ). For example, for www.jasper.com, books.jasper.com and jasper.com the eTLD+1 domain is jasper.com.
A rather unfortunate side-effect of this change is that creators will no longer be able to target ads directly to their Gumroad profiles or products since Facebook does not support adding the root domain "gumroad.com" to more than one FB Business Account.
The only alternative creators have for now is to setup a custom domain for their Gumroad profiles, and verify that domain with FB. Here are some helpful docs to go through if you wish to setup custom domains (you'll need to be subscribed to Gumroad Premium):
Verifying your custom domain
- Go to https://gumroad.com/settings/advanced
- Toggle on the "Verify domain in third-party services" option
- Copy the meta tag from your FB Business Manager and paste it in the box right below the toggle option. Read FB's documentation about it here.
- Scroll down and click the green "Update account details" button on Gumroad's Advanced Settings page.
- Confirm if the meta tag has been added to your site or not by right-clicking on your domain home page, select "Inspect (Ctrl+Shift+I)", and look for the meta tag in the "Elements" tab as shown in the screenshot below.
- Once you've confirmed that the meta tag has been added to your site, go back to your FB Business Manager and click the Verify button at the bottom of the Meta Tag Verification tab for the selected domain.
- Leave the meta tag on your domain home page as it may be checked periodically for verification purposes.
🔍 To zoom in a bit...
And we're done! You can now direct ads either to your profile, or individual products, using your custom domain!